10 New Year's Closet Organization Tips - get organized and stay that way!
January is the perfect time to recommit to getting organized, and your closet is a great place to start. Why? If you're like most people, chances are you've collected more shoes and clothing than you actually wear over the years, and your closet has slowly become an overstuffed, unorganized mess. But because we're in an out of our closets every day, it's easy to become blind to it all (or just shut the door on it!) until becomes too overwhelming to tackle, and getting dressed becomes a chore.
That's no way to start the day!
Beginning each morning in an organized, well thought-out space, can't help but make your entire day improve.
Here are a few quick tips to get you back on track, and most importantly, staying on track.
- Take Inventory - Take time to go through your clothing and figure out exactly what you need, and what you can stand to lose. Who knew you had 14 black t-shirts?
- Categorize - Choose a system that works best for you, whether it's sorting items by occasion, season, or color. Keep these items together, then stick with it!
- Uniformity - Use matching hangers, shoe boxes, and containers to give your closet a streamlined look and eliminate visual clutter.
- Order Your Drawers - Don't make yourself guess, place your clothing in each drawer in the same order you get dressed, such as socks and undergarments first, followed by shirts then pants.
- Stash Seasonal Shoes - Why waste space on items you aren't using? Store those strappy sandals in shoe boxes on a high shelf until spring rolls around.
- Create a Donate Bin - Keep a dedicated bin for items you no longer wear and donate them when it's full.
- 12-Month Rule - January is the perfect time to scan through your clothing and get rid of anything you haven't worn in a year. Toss those items in your donate bin and free up tons of space!
- Empty Space - Speaking of space, don't be afraid of it. Keep a little empty space for items to breathe. Ahhh. Isn't that better than struggling to sort through jam-packed shelves and rods?
- The Hanger Trick - Once you've purged your unused clothing, turn the remaining hangers backwards. Once you wear an item, turn the hanger around. At the end of six months, you'll be able to see exactly what you haven't worn and it will be easy to let those items go.
- Five Minute Tidy - Take a few moments at the end of each day to straighten up your closet, rehang clothes, and place shoes back in their boxes. You'll thank yourself in the morning and be well on your way to making 2019 the most organized year yet!